Your Money When Traveling
- Don’t convert money until you get overseas except for a small amount for airport purchases and tips, etc.
- Tell your bank and credit card company you will be traveling.
- Make sure your bank card has a chip and pin.
- Use ATMs to get money. Make sure your card is PLUS or Cirrus or get a Visa or Master Card debit card.
- Use a credit card with no international fees. See if your bank charges international ATM fees most don’t.
- Look up and carry the overseas phone number for your bank and credit card carrier in case your card is lost or stolen.
- Remember some hotels and car rentals may put a hold on your card which can tie up available money.
- If you get stranded, Western Union is still the best and fastest way to get money from home while you are abroad.